Processwork Titles and Credentials

What credentials are needed to be a Processwork practitioner?

The following table informs the public about the titles, credentials and associated training requirements that Processworkers may attain from the Process Work Institute.   The Process Work Institute does not endorse particular practitioners and encourages each person seeking process-oriented facilitation to make a considered choice based on their own assessment.


Practitioner Title


Training Requirements

Certified Processworker


Processwork Diplomate


Highest practitioner standard recognized by the International Association of Process Oriented Psychology (IAPOP)

Diploma in Processwork (PW Dipl.)


Masters in Processwork (MAPW)



Minimum of four years full-time training including minimum: 920 hours direct instruction; 90 hours supervision; 120 hours personal development sessions; 8 final competency exams; Thesis or Creative Project; and Professional Internship (minimum 250 hours)

Process-oriented facilitator


Processwork facilitator

Masters in Process-Oriented Facilitation and Conflict Studies (MAPOF)/Masters in Conflict Facilitation (MACF)


Minimum 2 years full-time training including minimum: 570 hours direct instruction; 20 hours personal development sessions; 4 foundational competency exams; and professional practicum

Processwork Associate


Certificate in Processwork

Minimum 200 hours training including 25 hours individual mentorship.


All PWI students and graduates are also entitled, and encouraged, to refer to themselves as Processworkers, with appropriate indication of their student status and/or degree or certificate attained and year of graduation.  For example, Processworker  (MAPOF student) or Processworker (PW Dipl., 1998). 


Students and graduates of the Process Work Institute commit to the Ethical Principles and Standards for Processworkers.


International Association of Process Oriented Psychology (IAPOP)

Members of the International Association of Process Oriented Psychology ( are bound by their shared values, vision and goals, and the commitment to ethical practice, continuing education, inter-collegiate professional feedback, and work toward shared standards among international training programs in Process Oriented Psychology.


Which degree or training path should I choose?

For individuals seeking to enhance their existing professional practice with process-oriented knowledge and techniques, we recommend the Certificate in Processwork or the Masters in Process-Oriented Facilitation and Conflict Studies. 

For individuals just beginning their exploration of Processwork, we recommend browsing the public course schedule for introductory seminars and other topic-specific workshops, and then considering the annual Winter Intensive and the Certificate in Processwork.

For individuals seeking to attain the highest, specialist level of expertise in Processwork practice, we recommend pursuing the status of Certified Processworker/Processwork Diplomate, by completing foundational studies in the MAPOF and further advanced training opportunities including the Advanced Certificate.