Frequently Asked Questions

Are there prerequisites needed to apply?
Yes, applicants need a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in the United States or the equivalent from outside the United States. Foreign students will receive with their application instructions for obtaining equivalency for their degrees.

How many hours of internship are required?
320 hours over 3 years including 200 hours of direct contact time, 24 hours of supervision and 110 hours of planning and preparation.

How many hours of meetings, etc. are required?
Advisor meetings: 25 hours per year, minimum of 75 hours over 3 years
General Supervision/Case Work hours: 15 hours per year, minimum of 45 hours over 3 years
Study Committee meetings: twice per year (once during each residency)
Triad/Peer Group meetings: 30 hours per year, 90 hours over 3 years
Elective classes: minimum of 10 days (6 hours per day) over 3 years
Internship supervisor meetings: 24 hours over 3 years

How much does the program cost?
Annual tuition is $8,900.00 ($4,450.00 per semester) Tuition includes course fees, two study committee meetings, weekly meetings with advisor, meetings with supervisors and administrative costs. It excludes course fees for electives. It also does not include room, board or travel costs or the cost of internet or phone connections for conferencing at a distance.

Is accreditation retroactive?
Yes, if the PWI graduate school is given regional accreditation, degrees granted prior to the accreditation are included.

What is the MACF graduation rate?
The current graduation rate (2007 – 2011): 71% or 36 students from 3 MACF cohorts. These numbers will be updated in early 2013.

Who are the faculty members?
Faculty members are listed in the back of the MACF student handbook. Several of these faculty will be teaching for the first residential period. Arny and Amy Mindell and Max Schupbach are also part of the teaching faculty. Their seminars are included in the first and second years’ residencies.

Can I choose from any of the world diplomates to be my advisor, study committee member, supervisor or teacher of elective courses?
Yes. Any diplomates who are not currently listed as faculty can apply through the center to be included in this list. They will need to satisfy certain state requirements and should contact the center office for details before agreeing to be in a faculty role.

Why is the program authorized but not accredited and what is the difference?
Authorization means the program is acknowledged by the State of Oregon. Accreditation is an additional level of endorsement granted by a consortium of regional Colleges and Universities. In order for a degree program to be accredited, it needs to be in existence for a minimum number of years before the formal accreditation process begins. We are working towards this goal. Authorization requires that we comply with various state rules and standards, however it does not qualify our students to receive federal financial aid.

Is it possible to go through the program at a slower rate?
No, it is not possible at this time to go at a slower rate – because there’s no guarantee that the next year’s class will start.

Is it possible to go at a faster rate?
No, because classes for the MACF program are held during specific residency periods. There is no way to take classes faster than during the periods already established.

What is the minimum/maximum class size?
Minimum class size is around 12; no maximum numbers as of yet.

Can other students take the classes?
Classes during the residencies are for MACF students only, except when the course overlaps with seminars (this happens with two seminars, one with Arny and Amy Mindell and one with Max Schupbach). Elective courses may also be attended by other participants.

Is there an overlap between programs?
Yes, there is a Diploma program overlap. Students can be enrolled in both programs simultaneously. All MACF courses can be applied to the Diploma program requirements, however, students must pay separate tuition for the Diploma program as well as any additional classes, all Diploma study committee meetings and any therapy or supervision or other costs beyond what is required for the MACF program.

Can your thesis serve both programs?
An identical thesis cannot be submitted to both programs. The data or research component upon which the thesis is based can be used towards two different thesis, but the overall focus and analysis has to be adapted to each specific program

Is there someone you would recommend that I could talk to about the program and how it may match with what I am looking for?
You can contact diplomate Dawn Menken at

What is the difference between programs?
Many skills overlap, but the programs have different underlying purposes and lengths.
” MACF has an emphasis on relationships, groups, and organizations and is shorter – only three years.
” Diploma & MAPW have much stronger clinical, one-to-one therapeutic focus, prepares practitioner to be therapist, as well as group facilitator. They also have a stronger personal growth component and the programs are longer – MAPW is four years and the Diploma has no timeframe.
Many skills overlap, for instance, there will be some one-to-one work in particular with extreme states in the MACF program, as there is in other programs, but the purpose for the skill development is different. In the MACF, the purpose is to be able to work with what arises in groups, and have a basic grasp of those issues, whereas in the Diploma and MAPW, the goal is to be able to work with such situations over time, with a therapeutic intent.

What do you have at the end of three years?
After three years, you have Master of Arts in Conflict Facilitation, which is growing field in the world, and significant skills in facilitating group & organizational situations. You may also be eligible to apply to any number of Ph.D. programs.

Are the cohort groups separate from each other?
Each cohort group (the group of MACF students who begin a program together) will be separate from other cohorts (i.e., first group entering program is separate from second group), though certain classes may overlap, such as research colloquia and case analysis.

Are there student visas available for the MACF program?
Yes, it is possible to obtain a student visa. Please ask for the international student’s information.

Is there financial aid available?
Due to the fact we are not accredited, federal financial aid is not available. Please look into your local community & organizational funding sources, which may be happy to sponsor people to learn & bring skills back to the community. We’re working on developing endowment, however there is currently nothing available.

Can MACF students do joint internships with other MACF students?

Is it possible to have a paid internship?
That depends on the internship and the student. Internships are obtained by the student. Each internship situation depends on the organization or situation. Additionally, students need to check on residency and work requirements of the countries in which they reside.

How do I meet diplomates to find my advisor and study committee?
Faculty contact information is available from the center office. Feel free to call and talk with diplomates on the phone to find out more about them. We’ll also have a faculty/student gathering the first night of the program in September, and again a few days later at Arny and Amy Mindell’s coastal seminar.

Would most of the participants in this course be based in Portland or do you think people would travel in?
People will be attending from all parts of the world to attend the two week residencies. Due to the fact that you can do your internship in your home area, it’s highly possible that students will travel in. There will be triads created from the students and you will also meet with them regularly by phone, email or face-to-face. There is also constant contact with supervisors and advisors via the same methods.

Is it preferable to be based in Portland or are there particular benefits of being in Portland to study?
No, there is no need to live in Portland. Students are encouraged to make use of resources in their home communities. If time and finances allow, students may also travel to other cities or countries where Process Work events may provide more study opportunities.